On 8 December 1279 an indenture was issued establishing a mint at Bristol Castle, and its constable, Peter de la Mare was appointed mint keeper. It operated there until 1281 and then between 1300-1302. It re-opened again between 1465 to 1472 for the coinages of Edward IV, Henry VI and Edward IV.Restored Gold coins were struck there for the first time in 1465 and by the time they were made the Castle mint was exceptional. It had the authority to produce coins in both gold and silver and was the only mint outside London to have an engraver. Towards the end of Henry VIII's reign in 1546 it was re-established onec again and authorised to strike gold and silver. This gold crown was struck for King Henry VIII whilst William Sharington was Under Treasurer to the Bristol mint .Sharington and Lord Thomas Seymour were caught clipping coins and arrested in 1549. Sharington made a complete confession. He blamed Seymour and was eventually pardoned but Seymour was not so lucky and was beheaded.