These jackets are from the first incarnation of the Bristol Volunteers/ Bristol Loyal Volunteers, 1797 - 1802. There was then a period of peace before the wars started again in 1804, at which point the Bristol Volunteers were reincarnated as the Bristol Royal Volunteers. At that time their uniform facings became blue and the buttons changed.
This jacket was donated to the museum in 1959 by Mr. R. Parker. It belonged to his Grandfather.