This is a private bank note, made and used in Bristol in 1818.
The Bristol High Cross, pictured on it, was located at the highest part of the Old City, traditionally erected to mark the granting of the 1373 charter that gave Bristol the status of a county. It was the historic and symbolic centre of Bristol, located at the crossing of the four original main streets; Broad Street, Wine Street, High Street and Corn Street. It was removed in 1733, a public petition claiming it to be a 'ruinous and superstitious relick'. It was later erected at the Stourhead estate of Bristol banker Samuel Hoare.