This drawing shows the original colouring of the firemarks, which were attached to insured properties. Until the beginning of the 19th century, fire-fighting was carried out by private companies which only protected properties displaying their mark and the policy number. When joint brigades were formed, companies contined to issue the marks which served as advertisements. This drawing shows 18th-century marks with the policy number. The Bristol Universal Fire Office was founded in 1774 and undertook to pay for losses of plate, china, glass and room fittings which older companies had refused to insure. The Bristol Universal Fire Office later merged into the Bristol Fire Office (established 1770 as the New Bristol Fire Office). The latter's firemark bears the arms of the City of Bristol.