1 to 40 of 518
Metal backplate. Armour designed to protect the back. Damaged right shoulder. Right shoulder fastening missing.
Long curved sword with etched decoration handle. Half basket hilt with narrow blue textile wound handle. Mortuary style.
Military flintlock holster pistol. Round barrel with moulded rings at the breech. Secured to the stock by 2 barrel pins. Walnut full stock with plain brass furniture comprising butt cap, trigger guard, sideplate and 1 ramrod pipe. Iron ramrod. Flintlock sidelock with flat plate. Roller frizzen. Secured to the stock by 2 sidenails. No Ordnance markings.
Flintlock musket. Walnut full stock. Crude iron trigger guard, no butt plate or ramrod pipes. Iron octagonal to round barrel, secured to the stock by 2 copper bands. Ramrod missing. Military style flintlock with ring-necked cock, with indistinct signature (possibly Coulson - not recorded). Secured to the stock by 1 sidenail.
Army Remount Service cap badge; depicts King George V cypher above a voided band; rampant horse within.
Nigerian crossbow, the bow of fibrous wood. Composite bow string. Slender wooden stock or tiller with carved bolt channel and notched to set bow string. The forward part of the tiller with crude carving becoming broad and slotted for the bow.
Large bronze plaque, with frame and curved top TO THE CITY OF BRISTOL THIS TABLET IS GIVEN AS A TRIBUTE OF GRATITUDE BY THE BELGIANS WHO FOUND A HOME IN THIS CITY DURING THE GREAT WAR OF 1914-1918
Large bronze plaque with names of Naval and Military units associated with Bristol in Great War. Rectangular, with City arms in escutcheon at top, with frame around. Lists of units with blocks of text.
Shield with a decorated front: split into 4 panels. 2 of the panels show 2 red dragons on a gold background (top right and bottom left)and the other 2 panels show 3 buckles and thick red lines.
Bristol Volunteers uniform jacket. Red wool jacket with yellow wool facings at the front-centre and the cuffs. 2 yellow hearts at the waist. White lining. 7 'Bristol Volunteers' buttons on each side of the front; 6 matching buttons on each cuff; 6 at the back (32 total).
Liege made copy of the Martini Henry single shot breech-loading rifle adopted and decorated Octagonal steel barrel, rifled with 4 grooves. Raised blade foresight and adjustable ramp rear-sight. Attached to the fore-stock by 7 silver barrel bands, the forward band also forming a nose-cap with integral sling loop. The forward band with a sling swivel. Arab engraved square iron receiver (with integral trigger guard) containing hinged breech-block with firing pin, the block lowered for loading by pushing downwards on a long loading lever handle behind the trigger guard. Top of receiver with traces of Liege proof-marks. 'Cocked' indicator on right hand side of receiver. Wooden 2-piece walnut stock with steel butt-plate (hinged butt-trap loose). Butt section bound along the wrist with silver wire and having a silver band around the butt with a rear sling loop. Leather sling. Later brass cleaning rod.
Percussion military rifle, a copy of the British Bruswick rifle and made by Pierre Joseph Malherbe, Liege. Round iron rifled barrel (2 grooves) barrel, the nipple bolster stamped 434 and stamped with Liege proof marks. Bayonet mounting bar at muzzle. Blade fore-sight and adjustable folded rear-sight. Retained to the stock with 3 barrel slides. Iron ramrod with cupped brass head. Walnut full stock with brass furniture comprising; butt plate, hinged patch-box, escutcheon, trigger guard with sling loops, fore-end and 2 ramrod pipes. Escutcheon engraved with the monogram of Tzar Nicholas I (1796 -1855). Tang of butt plate engraved with two headed eagle under a Crown and the number 434. Iron ramrod. Rounded Enfield type back-action percussion lock with border line engraving and marked P.J. Malherbe, a Liege. Retained to the stock by 2 sidenails.
Breechloading vest pocket pistol. Liege-made copy of the 'Eclipse' pocket pistol. Steel barrel, nickel plated which swings to the right for breech loading. Calibre .22 rimfire. Stamped on left side with Liege proof marks and the initial A under a Star. Steel nickel plated frame containing single action lock mechanism, the rear of the frame extends to form a holder for the 2-piece wooden grip. Spur trigger. 'Birds beak' form grip. The left side of frame stamped with the initial A under a Star; the right side of frame stamped with the serial number 3053.
Pin-fire pocket revolver. Six shot plain cylinder stamped with Liege ELG proof mark and Inspectors mark, Y under a star. Steel barrel and frame. The octagonal barrel with pillar sight and side ejector rod. The frame containing the lock mechanism and with a hinged loading gate on the right. The rear part of the frame forming a support for the grips. Folding trigger. 2-piece wooden grips with central screw fixing.
Sabre with slight curve at end of blade, with fuller running along most of back edge. Running fox stamp on both sides of blade near the hilt. Wooden handgrip (?leather covered) with broad guard.
One Page Wood double-barrelled 12 bore shotgun in case S/S72 Brian Godwin - Double barred centre-fire shotgun by Page & Co., Shepton Mallet. Side by side round Damacus twist barrels with upper and lower ribs, the upper rib signed Page Wood & Co., Shepton Mallet. Brass bead foresight. Barrels stamped with Birmingham proof marks, 12 bore and numeral 13. Length 77.5cm. Iron action with engraved standing breech. The upper part of the action is also formed with a long tang. Action âtableâ stamped with Birmingham proof marks. Barrel release lever an be rotated anti-clockwise to open breech. Walnut stock with chequered wrist, and walnut detachable and chequered forestock. Engraved iron furniture comprising; trigger guard with long tang engraved with number 72. White metal escutcheon. Right and left border engraved side-locks signed Wood, Page & Co. Secured to the stock by 2 sidenails. Wooden canvas covered case, S/572, with brass corners and lock. Leather straps and carrying handle. The case lined with red baise and the interior divided into compartments. 2 wooden and brass cleaning rod present with a quantity of cleaning cloth and tow. Size 31.7cm x 21.8.
Pair of flintlock holster pistols by H.W.Mortimer, London. Round iron barrels secured to the stock by 2 barrel slides. Walnut full stocks with plain butts. Brass furniture (trigger guard and 2 ramrod pipes). Flintlocks of flat form plates with stepped tails and bevelled edges, anti-friction rollers, sliding bolt safety catches. Signed H.W.Mortimer & Son. Wooden ramrods with horn tips. Circa 1806-1813. - Brian Godwin
Tin box for dress helmet, with name painted on top: L.C.BAGG ASC
Photograph mounted on card, showing officers of the 10th Battalion Black Watch seated and stood in front of the Victoria Rooms. All in uniform, most in trousers, some in kilts. Names written beneath.
Dress uniform of Lieutenant L C Bagg, in ASC pre-1918, including trenchcoat, boots, hats and caps, all in large tin trunk. Damaged by moth Dress helmet see W674 Trenchcoat L 1380mm dress jacket dress tousers L. 1250mm dress waistcoat tunic L. 1050mm slouch hat peaked cap other cap belts sword in scabbard spurs x 2 pairs boots
Dress helmet of Army Service Corps Four-lobed brass mounting on top with brass ball Brass crest attached to front Brass chain-link chinstrap with leather backing.
Matchlock hunting gun. Round iron barrel formed with integral rear flange with peep-hole sight. Integral flash-pan. Bead fore-sight. Attached to the stock by 3 silver wire barrel bands. Wooden full-stock inlaid with bone panels, each decorated with carved designs. The right side of the pentagonal form butt with attached leather pouch with folding cover, this decorated with silver studs and dyed wool and parchment. The butt plate formed of horn and bone. The fore-stock with attached folding 2-pronged horn and wood stand. Indian-type matchlock mechanism enclosed within the stock. Leather sling. Iron ramrod.
Shield with a decorated front: painted with a gold lion and 2 gold discs on a red background at the top, and a green dragon on a gold diagonal strip over blue and white wavy lines below.
Side or snare drum, with brass shell. Wooden hoops to hold heads in place, painted in red and white stripes. Ropes tied across hoops and shell. Bottom hoop has 3 metal studs for feet. Snare wires across the lower drumhead. Knotted carrying rope attached to top hoop. Stamped into shell: Henry Potter & Co 36 West street Charing Road London 1914 BRISTOL BN. GLOS. R. 4
Small 'colour' flag, single-faced, pink with a gold fringe around edge. Central appliqued sphinx in white cotton, with black embroidered features. Above,B for B Company: below, TWELFTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE in right top corner, 3 scrolls for 28th June 1918, 21st August 1918, 28th August 1918
1 to 40 of 518