The Guild of the Brave Poor Things was set up by Victorian philanthropist Ada Vachell (herself deaf from childhood due to scarlet fever) in 1896. It provided a social space and a hub for crafts and apprenticeships for disabled children and adults. In 1913 a purpose built building with wheelchair access opened on Bragg Lane, St. Judes.
The name became the 'Guild of the Handicapped' in 1917. Through many changes, the organisation continued until 1987.